Monday, October 31, 2005

Melbourne Cup

Ah yes, it's the race that stops the nation and indeed, we in DEET Financial Services were stopped. I got fully involved with all the sweeps and ended up spending $24.00 on them!! I won $12.00 because I had Makybe Diva on the $1.00 sweep. Woohoo!!! We ended up having lunch at a place called Rorke's Drift (a pub just across the road) and watched the race there. I must say I got pretty excited as I had a lot of horses to cheer on!! I wanted Lachlan River to win, but that's because he was my $10.00 sweep horse!! Hehe. Well, I cheered along with everyone else and I can honestly say I was absolutely thrilled when I saw Makybe Diva gaining ground!! It was such a happy moment!!! I actually knew which horse she was without someone having to point her out to me!!! I tear almost came to the eye!!

I love the fact that the jockey was so caught up in the moment that he cried openly and then did a funny arm gestures!!! Hehe, I started laughing at him. I also loved the random ‘woohoos’ when he finished his interview!!

All in all, I had a nice and fun day and I can’t wait until next year when I will hopefully have more luck betting on the beautiful horses!! *sings Darryl Braitwaite’s song “horses”*

Have a good day and I hope the punters got lucky!!

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: If you’re ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don’t stop and think of what other words have “under” in them, because that’s probably the first sign of jungle madness.

10 Comments:

At Monday, October 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anika, yes, it is the race that stops the nation and I wish there was a national holiday because I'd love the chance for another public holiday. I was walking out of work and stopped with the rest of the crowd to watch the race...

Glad you had a fine day!

Yoomi

 
At Tuesday, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah! I gotta say I love the Jack Handy thought the most!
I actually did start blubbering when Makybe Diva won but was also annoyed at the rider taking all the glory! That horse was beautiful though!!

Mellie

 
At Tuesday, November 01, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

I wish it was a national holiday too!! Bloody Melbourneans!!!

Mellie, I loved the jockey!!! He didn't take the glory, he kept going on about the horsie!!!

Hehe!!! Perhaps one day we can all go to the Melbourne Cup and waste lots of money and perhaps win a little.

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Senorita Diva is a beautiful horse. She's just gorgeous really. As for the jockey, dear him, I think him and the other two stooges do deserve a lot of glory....

Yoomi

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005, Blogger Mr. R said...

I got my money back in the sweeps for coming last in the 5 dollar sweeps and the 2 dollar sweep :D yaayy for me :P

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

did anyone bet for me????

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

No, because I know you don't approve of betting and such things!! :P

 
At Friday, November 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, where's the chatterbox Dame Anika? I was absolutely scandalised that it's unavailable temporarily. I almost had a faint spell on the spot :P

Yoomi

 
At Sunday, November 06, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Hehe, Yoomi, calm down. It's back on track, it played up on me too, for some weird reason a post of mine didn't come up!!

 
At Tuesday, November 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol...I was absolutely horrified when I didn't find it the other day. I didn't think that you would intentionally or willingly take it down and besides, it's so much easier to make comments in...

Yoomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home