Sunday, January 15, 2006

And So It Goes.........

Hey All,

I would first like to apologise for being so slack updating this!!! I will try and update on the first or second day that I'm back from MRM in future!!!

I have actually started to settle down into the swing of things at the mine. The 12 hour days are not bad at all, and we did get a new chef who is great!!! He is French (oh yes Yumna!!!!). I have made a few more friends and have started playing a bit of pool and table tennis!!!! My weighing skills have improved dramatically and I am more confident in the laboratory.

However, I had my induction on Tuesday, let me tell you a bit about it. I WAS COMPLETELY BORED!!!!!!!!!! I started work at 6.00am like always. Then left for my induction at 11.00am. I went to the class room and listened to talks on safety, the environmental impact of the mine and also how to put out a fire using a fire extinguisher. The guy talking about fire asked everyone if they had a hard hat. I told him I had one in the lab and asked him whether I should go and quickly get it then. He replied "no, just get it before we go to start practicing putting out fires." The whole class then had to wait about 5 minutes for two other ladies who took too long in the break so I really could have gone and got my YMCA Village People hat then.

When it was time for everyone to go to the cars to get driven down to the fire fighting spot, I quickly went to the lab whilst everyone else pretty much ran to the cars. When I got back, there was NO ONE there!!!!! I looked around the back and front and realised they had left without me. I honestly felt like punching someone. Whilst I stood outside the office feeling a little sorry for myself, another presentor walked towards the office. I told him I had been left behind. He then drove me to the site. He was really nice!!! Thanks mate!!!

After putting out a fire, which was actually quite fun, we were driven back. The guy who forgot me said "sorry for leaving you behind". I was like "yeah, I survived" and thought no thanks to you!!!!

We then had lunch - this was at about 1.00pm and we went back to the classroom at about 1.40pm. We then had a series of presentors and occasional 10 minute breaks. Now, I sat at the front so I would have to pay attention and not be too bored. I almost fell asleep as soon as we got a new presentor. When we were supposed to be watching videos and the lights were dimmed, I took the opportunity to close my eyes and pretend I was in bed.

We ended up finishing our induction at 6.50pm!!!!!! So, all up, our induction took 8 hours to complete. I don't know what we gained out of it. It was just cruel and I don't think I'll remember much of what was talked about. Contrary to that, time in the lab goes very quickly and I'm so glad for that!!!!!!


Thank you!!!

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: I think a good product would be "Baby Duck Hat". It's a fake baby duck, which you strap on top of your head. Then you go swimming under water until you find a mommy duck and her babies, and you join them. Then, all of a sudden, you stand up out of the water and roar like Godzilla. Man, those ducks really take off! Also, Baby Duck Hat is good for parties.


At Sunday, January 15, 2006, Blogger Vidya said...

12 hour days???? EVERYDAY???

At Sunday, January 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're enjoying the food :D


At Monday, January 16, 2006, Anonymous lani_b2 said...

lol just had lunch with you :P

Good to read your diary and I hope that you update it more often!

At Tuesday, January 17, 2006, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Yes Vids, 12 hours every day!!! Yoomi, I did enjoy Mr French's food. Liana, I will try my hardest to update a little more regularly like you told me!!!

I'm off!!!!


Post a Comment

<< Home