Monday, July 11, 2005

Katherine

So now we are doing the 'Tourist Thing' and taking our visitors around the Territory. We went to Katherine on the weekend and had a pretty good time.

Now, Katherine is three hours drive south of Darwin and is well known for it's Gorges. A Gorge is a body of water between two bodies of rock (I think this is the definition of a Gorge - sue me if I'm wrong).

We arrived at about 3.30pm on Saturday after a 9am-ish start. It took us that long due to us stopping for rests and also detouring and having a look at Adelaide River's old Railway Station. As we were leaving the Station, we heard the sound of a train and lo-and-behold, it was the Ghan. It was quite spectacular and I'm sure we all went slightly mad taking photos.

When we reached Katherine we decided to go to Katherine Hot Springs for a little swim, which was nice and relaxing. Then we went to our hotel rooms and had lunch (a rather late one). After eating too much, we all decided to go for a walk around town and get some supplies, ie. chocolate!! When we got back, we realised we were so tired, and all went to bed.

The next day, we went to the Katherine Gorge and went on the 2-hour tour by boat/ferry (I don't know exactly what it was). It was honestly beautiful. I can't imagine how nature can be so spectacular (this sounds like a cliche), but it was...........

Darryl Somers went there to promote the Territory. Remember the advertisement "You'll never, never know, if you never, never go". Well, part of it was shot at Katherine Gorge. Also, the first Australian film "Jeddah" had scenes shot at the Gorge. This film also had Aboriginal actors in it, which was historical in itself. Anyways, I'm starting to sound like the guide, so I'll stop with all this talk.

In all honesty, Darwin is at it's most beautiful at the moment and now, is probably the best time to get over here!!! So, get over here and you can go and see all these cool places!!!

I feel like I'm missing out a lot being at work and all whilst my visitors and parents do other cool stuff. However, I'm connecting more with Adam, and I'm really going to miss him when he leaves.........we hired the movie 'Candy Man' last night, and I told him that I'll watch it with him. Yet another old school thing that he would have been too young to know about 10 years ago when I watched it for the first time!!!!

Miss you all!!!!

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

2 Comments:

At Monday, July 11, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

wow! I want to travel after reading that! Darwin really does sound beautiful.

 
At Tuesday, July 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anika, I know what you mean by saying you miss out on a lot by being at work... I sometimes feel that way. Kimberely and gorges, sounds truly beautiful. Have a pretty day tomorrow Anika of Darwin!

Yoomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home