Tuesday, July 05, 2005

An Unlikely Feminist

Yesterday, my extended family, Sashani, and I went to see Madagascar. It was a pretty good movie, though it had taken ideas from 'The Lion King', and also the book 'Life of Pi'. However, the penguins, giraffe, and hippo were original, so all was not lost.

When I was dropping Sashani home, Adam (my cousin's son) was forced to come with me to protect me from all the evil's on the roads of Darwin. I knew he really didn't want to come, but I laughed at him and told him he had to do what he was told coz he was young (I actually enjoyed this part, and I'm sure he felt like punching me). On our way to Sashani's she talked continuously about dancing/clubbing/guys. On our way back, Adam said to me that he used to do dancing. I was obviously impressed (he is only 12) and asked him what kind of dancing etc. He used to do break dancing and crib-walking. I expressed my interest and said "my friend's brother can do crib-walking!" I told him he had to teach me to do it. Then I asked him how long his brother Andrew had been with his girlfriend, Sarah. "6 months" he replied. "6 months and they've already been on a holiday together!!" I exclaimed. I then said "you know, boys ALWAYS get to do what they want, you are really lucky you know!" I think I surprised him a little with my attitude and frustration. He didn't say anything to that (I don't know what he could have said that wouldn't have lead to a lecture, so I think he did the smartest thing by staying silent!!). I then asked him what kids do these days for fun. He said hanging out at the shops and occasionally the park where they might ride their bikes around. I bet they terrorise people at the shops (this is just a well informed guess, I'm sure he doesn't do that!!). We actually became pretty close last night, and I feel like I got to know him pretty well. When we got home he said to his dad “Anika knows what crib-walking is!” and actually sounded quite surprised. I then felt old because he just assumed I wouldn’t know what it was!!!! He’s a nice kid and I will continue to impose my thoughts on feminism on him till he gives in and just smiles and nods!!!

Yes, that’s a GREAT idea.

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: When you go ice-skating, try not to swing your arms too much, because that really annoys me.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol Anika... do you really want to pressure a 12 year old to your highly feminist way of thinking? Then again, your thinking style is cool and besides, most guys should get a little bit of the woman perspective when they're young and impressionable :P

Yoomi

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Yeah, he's a good boy. I think he thinks I'm a little strange because I laugh a lot and then he laughs at my laugh.

It feels like I've got a little brother. I took him to the movies on Friday night and saw 'The Fantastic 4' which was surprisingly good!!!

Miss you!!!

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

did you get him to show you a few moves on the street???

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

No, but last night I made him listen to some of the music I like and then realised he was probably not even born or was about 3-4 when it was popular.

I felt OLD!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home