Friday, June 03, 2005

Wildlife

Yesterday during my lunch break I decided to go for a walk around town as I had eaten too much at morning tea. Yes, I still behave much like a starving College resident at places where copious amounts of food is just left on tables. By the time lunch time rolled around I felt like I could just roll around too. I wasn't hungry but needed to get out of the office.

So, during my walk I saw a baby possum bound down from a tree and run underneath a bench. I was facinated and bent down to have a closer look. It was adorable and I wanted to pat it. So I put my arm out and ofcourse it scampered away from me. After about a minute, it decided to go back under the bench and eat some food that had been left there. The bench was in the shade so I decided to sit down rather than stand in the sun and look rather ridiculous bending down looking at something that most people probably wouldn't be able to see if the drove past. I kept a close eye on the possum who kept running around but always came back to the area near the bench. I was scared it would get run over by a car, but it didn't cross the road, but stayed on the pavement. Everytime it came running back to near the bench it would come closer to my feet, then finally, it came so close it actually licked my toe!!! I think I must have moved slightly because I imagined it biting my toe and me having to get all sorts of injections afterwards, and it bounded off again.

Hehe, so, that was my experience with the Wildlife in Darwin yesterday.l

I also had an experience with another sort of Darwin Wildlife a few days ago. After coming back from doing the mail round for work. I was crossing the road and was confronted by a man who said in a VERY Australian accent: "Ah, another Sheila!!!" I wasn't sure if he was talking to me so I just kept walking towards him. He then asked me where I was from and told me his name was Dave and put his hand out as if to shake my hand. I didn't want to be a bad sport so I put my hand out too and he took it and kissed it!!! Hehe, I was shocked and walked off feeling VERY embarrassed.

Ah yes, there are many 'Wild' creatures in the NT.

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: At first I thought, if I were Superman, a perfect secret identity would be "Clark Kent, Dentist" because you could save money on tooth X-rays. But then I thought, if a patient said "How's my back tooth?" and you just looked at it with your X-ray vision and said, "Oh, it's okay", then the patient would probably say, "Aren't you going to take an X-ray, stupid?" and you'd say "Aw, screw you, get outta here," and then he probably wouldn't even pay his bill.

6 Comments:

At Friday, June 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anika...that's, well, I would say charming but I'm not sure how you would've felt. The other day I was chatting to my neighbour who I've known all my life and she was saying back before feminism came along, men would tip their hats to women and I think that's absolutely lovely but she said 'but then those bloody feminists came along.' It made me giggle later but I suppose there are two sides to every argument/debate right??? I hope you have a pretty weekend! Lisa sends fond regards :D

Yoomi

 
At Sunday, June 05, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

That part of Australia is crazier then the rest of Australia!!! :P

 
At Sunday, June 05, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

hehe...thats funny! I would have been scared the possum would bite my toe because a possum has actually bitten my Dad's toe once (he mistook it for a piece of apple!).

 
At Monday, June 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear but it wasn't the possum's fault Mel...it was thought the toe was part of an apple :D

Yoomi

 
At Monday, June 06, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Hehe, Mel, did your Dad measure the circumference of his toe afterwards?? Because if he did, the results could have been misleading and not statistically significant due to swelling. He still could have measured the distance from his chin to his belly button though..........

 
At Tuesday, June 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anika, you have a strange sense of humour my friend! :D I hope you've had a brilliant day...

Yoomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home