Monday, May 09, 2005

Arafura Games

Hello All,

Now, I'm not sure how many of you know about the Arafura Games, but let me tell you, they are going to be spectacular. Yours truly is dancing in the Opening Ceremony so how could it NOT be good?? Actually, they are like a mini Commonwealth Games, with less participants. The participants come from places near the Arafura Sea (hence the name 'Arafura'), and they compete for one week. Anyways, I have been going to practices on the Marrara Oval (which is also incidently our cricket ground, don't talk to me about scores!!), the last one being yesterday after work. I got home at 9.30pm and was TIRED!!! I'm still TIRED!!! The funny thing about this dancing business is that the people teaching us the traditional Sri Lankan dancing are professional dancers from Sri Lanka (funny that). Anyway, one of the dance groups came to Darwin in about 1998 for Sri Lanka's 50 year Independence Celebrations, and I was infatuated with the drummer (me being 15 and all). I thought he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen (he was 26 at the time) and we hit it off right away (I don't know how, when I look back, I could hardly speak Sinhalese then!!!). Anyways, I didn't see him for what, 7 years and then I met him again last week. You know, it was a really weird situation, but I think we have both moved on. Hehe (I don't know why I'm sharing this with you all, I'm sure Mel will find a way to taunt me with it, but I say "Go ahead, do your worst!!"). There is absolutely no connection there, but he's a nice guy and a good dancer/drummer still. What can I say, time seems to have healed all wounds (what wounds??). I have no idea what the last part of this post had to do with the Arafura Games..........

Talk about a tangent!!!!

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: I think someone should have had the decency to tell me the luncheon was free. To make someone run out with potato salad in his hand, pretending he's throwing up, is not what I call hospitality.

19 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

I remember you telling me about this guy! I wonder just how many random things like that I must know about you!

Wouldn't it be funny if the drummer did a google search on "Arafura Games" and landed up on your website??? I would think about that just randomly and laught to myself!!! hehe

Where is the Arafura Sea???

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

I can't believe you would be so nasty as to say I would be mean about that! I think you mistake me for Vids's other personality 'Dr Epigenetics'

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Who dared to remove a comment?? Yoomi, was it you??

Vids: I don't know where the Arafura Sea is (this is very sad, I'm guessing it's north of Australia).

Mel: I'm just going on from the incident at my 21st where you made a speach titled 'Ode to Mr Lightbulb'.

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

I removed the comment because it was meant to be for Yoomi's blog but my computer did a weird thing and backtracked to yours and posted it there! Go to yoomis and you'll see that it would have been strange to post it here!
And granted my Lightbulb story gives you some rights to be a bitch but everyone laughed so hahahaha

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know that gave me an idea of setting up some sort of Lebanese Olympic Games and perhaps I'd call it...hmmmm... the Tabouli Games! Now that's what I call a great idea! Would any of you like to compete? I'm already entered in all the races...

Yoomi

P.S Excuse my strange sense of humour :P

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

No I will not excuse it...thats one of the main reasons I like you! hehe I get your humour, you get mine, anika laughs at her own jokes before saying them! Vids doesn't have a sense of humour - she's indian.

 
At Wednesday, May 11, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

LOLOLOL! I have just been reading the last couple of comments...

"The only normal people are those that you don't know very well"

 
At Wednesday, May 11, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

That is VERY true about people being normal because you have yet to find out their abnormalities!! Hehe. Dress rehersal for Arafura today!!!! Should be good.

 
At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

How did the dress rehearsal go?

 
At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Dress rehersal was not bad. I had to wear a sari which was tied REALLY tight around my waist (I was convinced I would become a paraplegic due to the blood circulation being cut off from my waist down). I can't imagine wearing it again on Saturday for the real thing. It was hard to hear the music so our timing was quite 'off'. Hehe, apart from that, it was GREAT!! Hehe.

 
At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

Hey stop using my hehe's...although maybe I should ban myself from doing that for a week! hehe...oh man already broke the ban!

 
At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Mel, you are starting to copyright everything!!! I hope things are going okay with your supervisor.

Miss ya Mellie!!!

 
At Friday, May 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you well for the 'real thing' on Saturday! :)

Yoomi

 
At Saturday, May 14, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

HOW DID IY GO?????????

 
At Sunday, May 15, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

It was GREAT. Will update my blog soon!!!

 
At Sunday, May 15, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

BTW, this Jack Handy quote, I think, is very "me", what with me scoping out the free sausage sizzles at uni, and going to people's houses to get free food. Hehe, I'm surprised no one commented on it, I guess the juicy gossip about my colourful past was all just too much!!!!

 
At Sunday, May 15, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

Anika you didn't even try to disguise the fact that you were only there for the free food:P

 
At Sunday, May 15, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Hehe, yes, that's the only reason I EVER came to your house Vids, was for the free Indian food!!!

*drools and remembers your Mum's cooking*

*laughs and remembers how your Mum kept telling me that you never drink milk and what a bad girl you are*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home