Monday, May 16, 2005

The Real Thing

I know all of you have been sitting on the edge of your seats just WAITING for me to put up my next post!! Well, here it is!!!!!!! *Bows (not Japanese style though!!)*

The Arafura Games Opening Ceremony went off really well. My sari was tied really tightly around my waist, cutting off the blood supply just the way I like it, and the make up I had to wear made me look pretty similar to a She-Devil (or a Drag Queen even). The dancers dressed me, did my hair, and put on my make up. I felt like I was getting married!! Hehe. We somehow managed to get on the bus on time (I don't know how, I can't remember the last time I saw so many females getting dressed so quickly). Once at the venue, I really needed to go to the bathroom, however, as my sari was pinned to my tights, I didn't really want to unpin it, for fear of the sari falling down in certain places. I was therefore kinda 'busting' for a few hours, it was okay though, I forgot about my bladder sometimes and would remember later on, it was like a vicious cycle. The timing was not a problem at all during the night, in fact, I think we kind of killed it!!! (Now, you can see how modest I really am). I mean, I personally didn't kill it, but the professional dancers were awsome. I don't know if any of you have seen Sri Lankan dancing, but the costumes are spectacular and the flips, jumps, barrel rolls, fire eating are great!! The men's costumes are MUCH nicer than the women's (why is that??), and I think honestly, the guys stole the show. We, as mere back up dancers did pretty well ourselves, there was only one bungle and as the crowd was probably not looking at us, it didn't matter at all. It's amazing what adrenaline does to you!! After the performance we were all involved in a fire spectacle which launched the fire works. I thought that was GREAT!! After that, I was teased mercilessly by the dancers (I think it was because I couldn't understand Sinhalese that well!!), and I remembered that I needed to go to the bathroom. After I came back, even though I pinned the sari back into my tights, it still managed to look incredibly daggy, so I congratulated myself on waiting till the end of the show to go to the toilet. Hehe. All in all, it was a very good production, apparently it was going to be shown sometime this week nationally on channel 7. I saw the show on Sunday in Darwin, and honestly, it was not very good, very budget like, and honestly quite embarrassing, not national material at all. Damn you Darwin!!!!!!

Okay people, take care, and tune in next time for the next update!!!

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around a campfire and nobody got scared.

21 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anika, that sounds like so much fun! I can't remember my last 'performance'. Actually the last time was probably an exciting, very interesting, seminar I had to give for some subject. I'm still working away, raking in the big bucks, and life's going alright. I'm enjoying the rainy weather! :)

Yoomi

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

Let us know what day it will be shown on Channel 7 and I will look out for you!!

I am thinking about you doing the "gotta go gotta go" move with flow, style and grace!

BTW... The Srilankans stole the Saree from the indians:P Just thought I should tell you... *gives smug know-it-all look*

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Vidya, I think you might be right, since we must have descended from 'YOU PEOPLE'. Sri Lanka is ofcourse a piece of land that once must have belonged to India, and therefore, we MUST have stolen the sari (see, I even spell it differently) from you!!

Yoomi, I have never had an exciting or interesting seminar (not at Uni, for sure!!). Perhaps in High School (an English oral), but that was about 5 years ago. Glad you are making $$$!!!!

Guys, I don't know if or when they will show the Opening Ceremony on Channel 7, as I said, it was pretty shoddily done, and quite an embarrassment to the Territory.

 
At Wednesday, May 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the Territory? Love the phrase :) I'm also glad I'm making the big bucks ...

Yoomi

 
At Wednesday, May 18, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

I'm VERY bored at the moment!!! Anyone know what has happened to Mellie Pellie?? Perhaps she is havng problems with her flat mate's rat??

I will be in Syd soon!!!! Not exactly sure of the dates as yet, but will let you know in a few days. Yay!! I'm getting a bit excited!!!

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

Hey Ankia (rhymes with ....!),
I hope the next comment makes you feel bad - sunday night my flatmates rat died - I was upset enough to cry so I hope you at least feel bad enough that I was upset! P.S: B.I.T.C.H. = U hehe

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The poor, poor rat... I'm still not sure how I feel about pet rats though :P Anika, what's that meant to rhyme with? Stop picking on our Darwinian friend Mel

Yoomi

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

How on Earth did that creature die???? I'm sorry Mellie, I promise I didn't send it evil vibes!!! I didn't want it to DIE, I just don't like 'pet' rats, or rats full stop. I can't believe I made a comment about the rat and then it goes and dies. I hope you and your flat mate are doing fine. Was it a particularly old rat??

BTW Yoomi, Ankia 'rhymes' with a word that starts with 'w'. Hehe, ask Mel for further clarification.

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

Yoomi, its the reason you never sit in the absolute back row of a movie theatre - might find a nasty suprise!

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Yeah, you might find an old sock!! Hehe!!

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

WHEN ARE YOU COMMING DOWN???

And why didn't any of you reply to my email????

*annoyed look*

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

*gasps and faints*

Vidya annoyed?? Hehe, NEVER!!! I should be in Sydney on the 26th June, according to my calculations..........gotta book my ticket now!!! Eeeks!!!! I'm scared/excited about coming back. I honestly have no idea why I'm scard, but I am, probably because you are annoyed Vids, and I will have no idea how to deal with your wrath!!!!

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

Vids=the queen of not replying to emails!!! Even when the person specifically asks people to email back so that the emailer doesn't think someone wants to go to canada when they don't!!! Still waiting for that email BTW

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Vidya, the picture you attached in your email is of an alien playing the cymbals.........

I just got off the phone to Moulder and Skully, they said they'd give you a call, I hope you don't mind.

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

Me?? Not replying??? Canada??? I'll come to Canada!

Anika: Yes... its an alien playing the cymbals! You are sooo clever!

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

It looked like a drosophila melanogaster. Quick question Vids: are you working on methylation patterns? I may be attempting to find out if one of my genes is imprinted...

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

How can you have a quick question about biology?? I didn't think there was such a thing.

Mel's got a boyfriend!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm hoping this is the case, I'm really excited about reading her blog to find out the juicy details and tease her mercilessly later on!!!).

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Mellie said...

Anika: you've been hit over the head too many times - I could say more but I like making you wait till I post...maybe I won't post for another week just so I can make you cry!

 
At Friday, May 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not replying to Vidya's email... Well, I can say I definitely read it if that helps :P It's pissing off I can't check out these blogs throughout the day :( Makes me feel like I've missed out on a bit...

Yoomi

 
At Friday, May 20, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

MEL - POST NOW!!! Or I might have to hack into your website and post for you! and that may not be so good!!!

And yes.. I am looking at methylation - using bisulphite sequencing though...

 
At Sunday, May 22, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Err yes, good old methylation, very good, very good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home