Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Elevator

Now, as most of you know, I am working with the Department of Employment, Education and Training. It is an okay job and I'm pretty happy here so to speak. However, there is one thing that really gets me down, yes, it is the elevator.

Now, I work on the 12th floor. My building has 14 floors (I like to think of myself as a 'top' person) *laughs at own stupid joke*, and most of the time people from the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 13th floors are in the lift that my Dad and I choose. 'Why is this a bad thing??' I hear you ask. Well, the uncomfortable silence that usually takes place is one thing. People being in your personal space is another. The looking up/down/not at people's faces is yet another. Not to mention people with strange fashion sense standing in front of you, leaving your mind to ponder what they were thinking when they woke up in the morning.

I often think of the forward email '25 things to do in an elevator', my favourite being "greet everyone with a warm handshake and ask them to call you admiral".

However, it is not bad say 5% of the time. I was in the elevator once with my Dad, this lady Sandra who works with us (who is really funny/loud), and some other randoms, one lady had a small suitcase with wheels. This lady got off at a floor that was not ours and my Dad made the comment "I don't think I'd like to stay here for the weekend" and Sandra, without missing a beat said "yeah, I don't think the room service would be any good". Now, that was really funny and everyone laughed.

I'm glad I could share one of my happier elevator stories with you. You have a good day now.

Jack Handy Thought For The Day: If I could be a bird, I'd be a Flying Purple People Eater because then people would sing about me and I could fly down and eat them because I hate that song.

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anika, I know what you mean about the elevator stuff. At uni, because there are many floors, you get that whole everyone staring at the numbers above the doors effect and there's silence and because there are mirrors, you can see what everyone else is doing :P Hope you have a great day!

Yoomi

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

YAAYY!! You have a blog!!! :D:D:D:D

Now I can invade your space... i liked your stupid joke:D

My stupid joke of the day:

Lady: thanks for the lift home... maybe one day I will give you a lift!

Me: And I would give you a 7 Up

That was followed by awkward silence... :P

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2005, Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Very good Vidya, VERY GOOD!!!

I would have laughed!!!

That's like "I feel like a can of coke"

"you don't look like one!!"

Yoomi, I think we need to abolish elevators and just take the stairs!!!

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get some exercise in while we cram our poor brains you mean? I'm having trouble getting to Mel's blog. Any idea what's going on there?

Yoomi

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

I know you would have laugh... let me rephrase that... I know that ONLY you would ahve laughed!

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2005, Blogger Vidya said...

UPDATE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home